Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's 2012?

Im tired. I thought Brasilians did a great job of profaning the day of the lord when they shot of rockets and gun fire from midnight to four in the morning on Christmas.. But I had forgotten what a party new years was.. My goodness.
This week was plain brutal to find people at home. Being so close to the beach here there are few people that stick around during the holidays. We did a lot of walking.. New Years Eve was painful. We spent most of the day stalling looking for someone we could talk to until our dinner. Which i really didnt even want to go to because last time i ate there they were all drinking... in front of the missionaries. My hope that that was going to change on the night where EVERYONE gets plastered drunk was not granted. For anyone that speaks portuguese they were the definition of "sem vergonha." I thought at least someone sober was going to be the one to take us home at 1030, I was wrong. I put on my seatbelt and prayed. The lord let us get into one little accident when my fluffy friend didnt see a speedbump, but he got us home. Thank heavens.

The next day was interesting. I felt like Will Smith from I am Legend. I didnt see a single person on my way to church. THEN i only saw about 30 persons AT church. Keep in mind they combined 3 wards so that the attendence might not be SO bad. So it was a pretty sweet stake conference... with 30 people. Brasil...

However that day was oh so eventful. Its funny how sometimes you plan everything perfectly and nothing goes right, then other times you dont plan everything and it all works out. Sunday we didnt plan a single thing, we just walked out with the idea to wing it, find anyone that would listen to us testify of christ. Long story short we found 3 drunk dudes that were willing! Well, i should clarify, they weren´t drunk when we started. They were drinking WHILE we taught. Long story short, bible bash´s with drunk dudes are difficult to win... but oh how they are funny. The lesson started out great, but when we got to the part of apostasy and Joseph Smith we started to get a lot of shaken heads. First they told us the Bible was the TRUTH and it was the only truth. Then when they brought up that it was impossible to see God I asked if they believe in Moses. No.. So now the Bible is "sort of" truth. Then after we established that two of their pastors disagreed on the same scripture the Bible was no longer valid. BUT when two drunk dudes make a stupid comment then turn and laugh at each other its a point for them!! I have high hopes for Marcelo, Ivondro, and Thiago. 

Wednesday was kind of fun. A missionary that served here brought back his mom and grandparents and had a little party at the church. We were invited as translators. I ate pretzels!! I love pretzels. 

So yeah.. my week was hectic and tiresome. But when we work hard the Lord always leaves us with a few tender mercies. Yesterday after walking all day and having just 1 lesson in the scorching hot sun we found something that doesnt exist here in Brasil... A full, complete family. Not just a family, but an AWESOME family. I wont tell you how many actual families ive taught on my mission, but i can tell you i can count them on one hand. We shared the message of the restoration, the BOM, and challenged them to pray as a family. They loved it and want us to come back Wednesday.. And best of all, the HUSBAND likes us to. Even better, The wife hates her church!! Wahoooo! Pray for them. Their names are Adriano and Jaqueline. 

Mom, take confort in knowing you have now passed the ONLY complete year you will ever not see me. Pow. Happy new year. 

Stay Classy. 

(Pictures of Gramado Chocolate (delicious) from my Brasilian Grandma, Her family, (Im going to baptize that 23 year old girl, count on it), and tereré. (Like chimarrão but its sweet and you drink it cold.) I drink it every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment