Saturday, May 12, 2012

Weekly Status Report



It was good to talk to you guys breifely yesterday, it made me excited to talk tomorrow. The two Elders going home was a fiasco. One of them was one of the most painfully unlikeable stuck up rich kids from Texas I have ever met. He only had like 3 months on the mission but a month ago His mom got cancer while he was on the mission, but told him it was completely treatable and that she was not going to die and her only wish was that he stayed on the mission. I was the one who told him the news and watched him not even blink or show any reaction, I was like are you okay... It looked like he couldnt have cared less. Long story short for 3 weeks has been asking to go home, saying it has nothing to do with his mom, he just has no tesimony. I talked to his companion yesterday and he said he did nothing less than argue DURING lessons contrary to church doctrine. We fed him lunch before he went home and he was insuportable, basically gave us the middle finger and told us how he couldnt wait to get out of this hell hole so he could play tennis, good riddance. Feel bad for his family though, its going to kill them.

The other is one was the complete opposite, one of my good friends on the mission. For months he´s been thinking about going home, but fought against it because he knows it is the right thing to do to stay. i called him the night before and he just cried and cried, Didnt say a word on the way to the airport, completely sullen. His problem was testimony too though, he told me he saw so many people in the big world and they looked happy, and he wondered if he couldnt be happier breaking the commandments too. I couldnt believe it, I wanted to say YOU IDIOT WHAT PEOPLE ARE YOU TALKING TO!! But I didnt, I tried asking him some questions and helping him remember the things he already knows, but to no avail. He promised me he would talk to his bishop first thing he gets home, and try to renew his temple recomend though, Ill be rooting for him. He had almost a year and 3 months. Super sad day for me. 

I got in the gym a little today. We had to go fill up the font for a baptism tonight and we brought a basketball (Here there is a sweet indoor court, the only one ive ever seen in Brasil) i just couldnt ever find anyone to play with me. But while we were waiting me and my comp played a bit. YIKES. i am terrible, I had completely forgotten how hard it is to learn how to stroke and dribble again. I got so frustrated becaues i remembered those things coming so naturally to me before, and there i was trying to methodically THINK okay where do I release the ball.... It was painful. 

Mostly my last three months are just going to be really memorable. I had such a fun time in Santa Cruz do Sul yesterday.  We drove home with Presidnet and Sister Pavan and planned our Passo Fundo trip this Monday. We talked about a lot of fun stuff, about you, and motorcylce riding, and basketball, and politics. And then Sister asked me if I had bought presents already for my family, when i said not yet she told me we would make a trip out to a city called Soledade, that is about 30 minutes from Passo Fundo. Its a city renowned for priceless gems from the serra mountains. I´m stoked, Im going to be a couple cuias (the chimarrão cup) some bombachas (the big gaúcho pants) and a couple gems, one for a ring for mom and another for my future wife!!

Mostly Im just stoked and happy. Im working very hard and my mission is just passing before my eyes. Yesterday I woke up in a panic thinking that soon I will have to face reality, i had always though of it as a dream and a vision but never really thinking about. Frankly the though scared crap out of me. I have NO idea how to be a normal person. All I know is how to be a representative of Christ, and JUST now im starting to learn how to do it effectivly. Its crazy...


Soak up the good times, save some good stuff to do when i get home. The gospel is true, keep studying the scriptures, even though Wyatt pretends he doesnt notice he does. I did. Talk to you tomorrow.

AL

No comments:

Post a Comment