Tuesday, March 8, 2011

*Sorry I missed Al's Letter Last Week*

E Aí Pessoal. Beleza?
I am here with the Lynnster for the last time. Yes we finally did manage to separate. He will take off to Porto Alegre early tomorrow morning along with pretty much the rest of our zone. I am happy to still be here, where as I observed this week we have the most CREATIVE homeless people in the world.. My personal favorites- The guy that twirls a baton on fire in front of a red light. The guy that stands in the middle of a busy rode and pretends to direct cars into spots they were already going to, and then asks for ten bucks. And always our friend we always pass on our way home that watches the cars for the people playing soccer. What would this beautiful city do without these guys...
It was a good week. I have been studying a lot about the Abrahamic Covenant this week, and I was does this mean to people from other churches?? It would be empty.. I love the things that complete the gospel in our church. The things that make sense, and truly provide us with the PLENITUDE of the Gospel. I´m so glad to be a part of this Priesthood, and so glad Colin was able to join the club as well. Welcome my brother. Grateful for my Temple President grandparents that literally do not have a lost sheep in the fold. That´s incredible. I have yet to see a complete family here. Congrats Nana, you raised incredible Children. Children that married ex missionaries in the temple, who taught their kids right.
Another thing I am grateful for is Wealth. No its not wrong to say, I passed the `ghettos` for the first time this week. Not sure if I´ve ever told but here you will see not see a dumpster here without someone digging through it. The ghettos are where all these people live, and when i say they live in trash im speaking literally. It is heart breaking. I can´t help but to think what chance do these kids have... I was given every opportunity to succeed.
Also not sure if i´ve talked about Iracema. She is 68 and talks more than Bishop Hawkes. Only unlike Bishop Hawkes she will flat out interrupt you.. again, and again, and again. But she is a very nice lady and we were glad to baptize her this weekend. The interview took to hours to complete (it was complete chaos) and she interrupted the Bishop at least 10 times as he gave his talk at her baptism but we got it done!! Hallelujah!
I had my first snake incident this week... And it was not fun. Her name is Camille, and she is a solid 9.5... I will tell Adam/Britten a little bit more about it and just say this. Girls are wily temptresses from Satan and I don´t like them. Just my mom.
To end i will tell you about a big problem we are having. Here in Brasil people REALLY like to find faults in other people... And unfortunately wards here can be very weak. I have probably talked to 20 people this week that have gone completely inactive because of a person that they dont like. Bishops are so essential, but unfortunately lots of them like to get excommunicated here. We are now starting a huge program to try to get people to do home teaching. Every day i talk to someone that tells me no one visits them, and it doesnt matter if they go to church cause no one cares or talks to them. I want to tell them to grow up, but its kind of true. There are 3 GIANT families here that dominate the ward, and if your not in one of them, your pretty much just ignored. Its been a real patience builder to say the least...
So yeah, Home teaching is important. But anyways, that was my week. I love you all. I hope you all are enjoying life and remembering the things that are most important. This church is true, we have a living prophet. Happy Birthday Colin, and Grandpa Rex. I thought of both of you yesterday.


--
Elder Alex Allred
Caixa Postal 13008
91010-971 Porto Alegre-RS
Brasil

No comments:

Post a Comment